The 80-year old Gemological Institute of America (GIA) Thailand campus recently opened its shiny new premises at U-Chi-Liang Building on Rama 1V Road, with the GIA President and CEO, Donna M. Baker, presiding over the grand opening.
The GIA has trademarked its slogan The Worlds Foremost Authority in Gemology, and its hard to argue the point. As the worlds most trusted name in diamond grading and gemstone identification, the GIA is perhaps less well-known as the institution which created the famous four Cs of diamond quality in 1953.
Although it is just one of several institutes of gemological sciences operating in Thailand, the GIAs Bangkok branch has played a significant role in the development of the Thai jewellery industry, with many of the leading players having obtained their gemology education at its Bangkok campus, which opened in 1993, and using its laboratory for its technical support. The laboratory in Thailand is one of seven in six countries, and the only full-service lab operating outside of the United States. The new premises house both the laboratory and the teaching facility, which can accommodate 100 students.